Military and Overseas Voters

Minnesota residents temporarily residing outside the U.S. qualify for local, state and Federal office ballots.

Minnesota residents residing outside of the US indefinitely qualify for Federal office ballots only.

You can apply to vote absentee with the Federal Post Card Application (FPCA) if you qualify under one of the following:

Overseas Civilian US Citizens, (Defined as residents of Minnesota residing outside of the US either temporarily or indefinitely)

Members of the Uniformed Services and their dependents who are also U.S. citizens and residents of Minnesota. (Defined as U.S. Armed Forces, merchant marines and the commissioned corps of the Public Health Services and National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration).

• Be sure to sign your FPCA card.

To Obtain a FPCA (Federal Post Card Application) for each person who will be voting by absentee:

•Complete an absentee ballot application online.

•Complete a FPCA

•Contact the overseas vote foundation

•Members of the Uniformed Services can contact your Unit/Organization Voting Assistance Officer (VAO) for assistance.

If you do not know who this is, ask your chain of command for assistance.

Email, Fax or mail your completed FPCA to your county auditor as soon as possible.

•FPCA applications are valid for one year

Contact Us

  1. Elections Coordinator
    Christine Kempenich

    Auditor/Treasurer Office


    415 Jefferson Street South
    Wadena, MN 56482

    Phone: 218-631-7792
    Fax: 218-631-7652


    Monday - Friday
    8 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
    Closed Holidays and Weekends

    Staff Directory

2016 Dates

Primary Election General Election
Recommended you apply before Wednesday, June 1 Thursday, September 1
Ballots sent starting Friday, June 24 Friday, September 23
Recommended you mail ballot back before Friday, July 8 Friday, October 7
  Election Day Election Day
Deadline for ballot to be received Tuesday, August 9 Tuesday, November 8

Postal Address:

Wadena County Auditor's Office
415 S Jefferson Street
Wadena, MN 56482
Phone: 218-631-7792
Fax: 218-631-7652

Frequently Asked Questions

Q: Can someone else fill out the FPCA for me?

A: Yes, the FPCA can be completed and submitted for a Uniformed Service member or dependent by their immediate family member (spouse, parent, sister, brother, or child 18 years of age or older). The family member must sign the signature line with their name and state their relationship to you, the applicant.

Q: What should I do if I don't receive my absentee ballot in a timely manner?

A: Request a Federal Write-In Absentee Ballot from your VAO or download it and mail it to Wadena County Auditor's Office. The voter must have already applied for an Absentee ballot.

Q: How can I expedite the process or returning by ballot?

A: Use a commercial service requested by and paid for by the voter. Election ballots cannot be returned by fax or email.

Bars to Registration and Voting

For both Military and Overseas; convicted felons whose civil rights have not been restored, persons under court-ordered guardianship of the person without voting rights, or those declared legally incompetent may not vote.

Upon denial of your voter registration application or absentee ballot request, Minnesota shall provide you with the reason(s) for the rejection.