The major functions of the office include the accounting functions and creation of financial statements, calculation and collection of property taxes for all jurisdictions in the county, administering elections, and managing the county's investments.
The responsibilities of the department of the Auditor-Treasurer include the following:
- Serving as chief general accounting officer: accounts payable, accounts receivable, central payroll and benefit administration, and preparation of periodic financial reports and an annual financial statement.
- Serving on the budget committee and providing accounting/technical support for the annual budget and truth in taxation processes.
- Administering the property tax system, including all levy and tax increment financing data, tax settlement process, parcel ownership database, delinquent taxes, and tax forfeiture.
- Serving as chief election officer of the county.
- Serving as member of Board of Equalization and County Canvassing Committee, per MN statute.
- Providing licensing services for retail sales of liquor, beer, tobacco; precious metals; transient merchant.
- Disbursing county funds from proper funds at the direction of the county board to cover county liabilities, and serving as chief investment officer to invest available fund balances under statutory guidelines.
- Preparation of all tax statements. Mailing billing statements and collecting payment for all real estate, personal property and manufactured homes.
- Maintaining tax books showing taxes paid or unpaid.
- Settling and distributing taxes collected for local taxing districts of the county – towns, cities, school districts, and special taxing districts.
- Completing tax certificates and tax searches.
- Providing tax record information to realtors, mortgage companies and escrow agents.
- Collecting deed and mortgage registration taxes.
- Record on imaging microfilm all receipts and checks.
- Accumulated Interest Rates on Delinquent Property Taxes Paid in Calendar Year 2019
- Automatic Withdrawal Form (PDF)
- Over-Under Remittance Policy
- Deferred Assessment Application Form - Senior, Deferred, Military
- Deferred Assessment Application Form - Unimproved Property
- Service Charge-Dept Decision-Form.pdf
- Service Charge-Hearing Request-Form.pdf